Sunday, May 16, 2010

May (be a) Post

May has proven to be a very busy month for me, hence the lack of posting. It also isn't helped by the fact that I'm suffering a combination of writer's block and overthinking of topics to post on.

One topic I that's been tumbling about in my mind is the fact that May is Asian-Pacific American History Month, which ought to be important to me personally as an Asian American. I also understand that Asian Americans are under-represented in some fields of science and engineering, notably Astronomy. But talking about this for real would involve me actually looking up statistics and trying to determine how foreign nationals appear in the picture and expounding on the model minority myth and our invisibility in any discussions of race in this country and addressing issues that hard to talk about. Not that talking about Women in Astronomy is necessarily always easy, but I've had practice there.

Instead, I'll point you to some links that I've found particularly interesting lately.

A terrific report by and about women in astrobiology and planetary sciences from AbSciCon

Also, Susan Neibur, editor of the above blog, was recently diagnosed with a recurrence of inflammatory breast cancer, so she could use your support

Dr. Isis explains one of the reasons why I've been suffering from writer's block"

Female Science Professor writes about something that sounds very much like the Annie Jump Cannon Award. Food for thought.

No comments :